Monday, July 19, 2010

It's happened again!



















Look at these! Can you believe they are colored pencil? I went to Oklahoma City Saturday to the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum to see the 2010 Prix de West Invitational Art Exhibition. I knew in advance Mikel Donahue's pieces were colored pencil but I was not prepared for how excellent they really were. Some of you who have taken my workshops know I like to boast and say, "...you can't fool me. I'll know what you did!" Well evidently I can be fooled because I don't know what Mikel Donahue did. I could not tell what surface he works on or whether he uses solvents or perhaps blends some other way but his work is beautiful. I read on his web page he sometimes uses watercolor and/or pastel with his pencils but at these pieces were listed as being colored pencil, not mixed media.

If you have the time, or if you like western art be sure to take a look at the on line catalog for the Prix de West Show. I think you'll really enjoy it.